Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Gray skies

Today the sky is overcast, the air smells of rain, and there is a slight chill in the air. Secretly I love it. I'm in the mood for gray skies and the excuse to snuggle up on my couch while I watch the drizzle falling outside my window. We've had a drought the past two winters and I miss having a little 'exciting' weather. Even though I'm generally acknowledged to be cold all the time (except when I'm overly hot - I have a comfort zone of about 2 degrees), I love having seasons. Where I grew up, the winters are cold and snowy and May is still spring. Here the winters are moderately chilly with rain in a normal year, but the temperature never goes below freezing (and if it does, watch out because Californians *cannot* drive in rain, let alone ice!). April is usually the beginning of what I call 'pre-summer', whereas October is the beginning of 'post-summer'. I really shouldn't complain because a lot of people (my mom included) would love to have more sunny days, but I do find it a little bit creepy to have no seasons. Granted, I don't have to deal with scraping ice off my windshield, or waiting for the car to warm up and the window to defrost, and for that I am thankful. I just miss having a little more variety. Today I will enjoy my gray day, because summer appears to be arriving this weekend.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the seasons! It's gorgeous here at the moment, very unusual for Ireland.

Angie said...

I've only been to Ireland once, but we were lucky and the sun was shining most of the week. Very lovely!

Jenny Beattie said...

I agree, I think seasons are really important. I was worried coming to Thailand would be the end of seasons as I know it and that the weather would be really dull. HOWEVER, the rainy season is really amazing: proper tropical storms and forked lightening. Otherwise, the three seasons are hot, hotter and hot with rain!