Monday, October 26, 2009

Recovery

After a surge in posting, things have been quiet on here lately.

I'm in recovery mode.

I took my laptop to Apple two weeks ago to fix a few minor things: the case had developed two cracks--after being fixed a year before--and after that repair, my screen also developed an annoying and persistent flicker. Although my warranty ran out, Apple kindly agreed to fix these problems free of charge. I was delighted...until I went to pick up my laptop.

Apparently Apple's policy is to fix any problems that they find, regardless of the scheduled repairs, so it leaves Apple with their stamp of approval. A commendable policy. Unless, of course, they replace the hard drive without alerting you, dispose of it, and you lose everything.

*sigh*

I did a partial backup before the repairs. I saved my novel, of course, and some other stories, but I lost loads of research and music, and other files because I didn't have time or space to back up. Lesson learned for the future! Invest in a $40 flash disk, even if you only have a minor repair. It will save a lot of time and tears.

Thankfully, I found an old flash disk with an older backup version of my writing file, so I recovered some of the files I was fretting over. Now I'm trying to find all my old bookmarks--agents, writing friends and websites: all gone--and slowly setting up my laptop again.

It may be quiet around here as I continue to revamp and personalize my laptop.

7 comments:

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com said...

Hang in there, kiddo. Your laptop will be revamped in no time.

Jenny Beattie said...

OMG; so glad you've recovered things... phew.

Angie said...

Thanks, Kris. I hope so!

JJ, it has been a nightmare, but that old file was the silver lining.

Sue Guiney said...

Yikes! What a nightmare. Remember the good old days of carbon paper? :-) Hope it all gets recovered!

Anonymous said...

I feel for you Angie, we have just had 3 computers give up the ghost within 3 weeks. Only one was unrecoverable, and it too was partially backed up, losing hundreds of recent holiday photos and lots and lots of music. It's a real bummer isn't it?

Glad you have got something back and I hope your computer runs glitch free for a good while.


Good to see you back and blogging hon.xx

Angie said...

Sue, a giant nightmare! I think I missed the carbon paper days ;) but I do remember when everything fit on a floppy disk or CD...now the information is too big. (My novel file itself is too big for a CD.)

Hulla, oh dear, three in a row? That is horrible. Glad you didn't lose it all, and I'm thankful I recovered some of my stuff too. We get awfully attached to our computer stuff, don't we?
Good to see you too, and thanks for visiting! I need to make the rounds as I've been off the blogs lately.