Tuesday, April 03, 2007

To Work or Not to Work

Minor panic attack about jobs, or lack thereof today. Don't know what brought this on since I've been managing the anxiety about joblessness rather well the last month or so. Okay, I do know what brought it on: A spot on the Today show this morning about the folly of women staying home with kids. Read it here. I do get anxiety attacks about not working every month or two, and this just didn't help the situation. I'm not even staying home for the benefit of any kids, I'm just trying to pursue writing without pay and with only the hope of getting published when/if I finish this book. I have a history with this issue anyway; when my mom was left on her own to take care of four kids after staying home for 13 years with us, I swore I'd never be put in that position. I don't forsee the husband doing that to me, but obviously any number of things could change our financial situation and being prepared is the best defense. I'm trying very hard to ignore the nagging panicky feeling in the back of my mind that keeps telling me to get a job and just try to write part-time. I want to finish this book before I give up, and I know how difficult it is to write on your free time when you have a full-time job, but that voice is so unrelenting. I suppose the excitement of my birthday being passed and the reality of another year gone by doesn't help either.

1 comment:

Joseph R. Ruthruff said...

Don't listen to voices in your head, Angie. Voices are bad. You've made a great start on the writing, and you can finish it. You can do it! You can do it all night long! (Okay, read my e-mail for a more serious message. ;))