Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Please excuse the interruption

...I will now return to normal service. I received lots of lovely comments from readers encouraging me to give myself a break so I could take care of myself and recover. After about two weeks of migraines, I finally got a reprieve and I'm feeling mostly better.
My mom flew down to visit for Memorial Day weekend, and in true holiday spirit we had three barbeques in three days, which has to be a record for us. It was a nice relaxing weekend. We went to downtown Willow Glen (in San Jose) and downtown Los Gatos and walked around. While poking in and out of shops we discovered a new candy shop called Powell's Sweet Shoppe, which is amazing. They have every kind of candy you can imagine, including a selection of international candies so I was able to find some of the sweets I enjoyed in England. The store has a great old fashioned feel but it has a lot of fun jokester candy too.
Friday morning I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3 with a friend. I don't think I've ever been to a movie theater in the morning and it felt a bit odd. My friend's company bought out two showings of the movie and each employee was allowed to bring a friend for free. They had free soda and popcorn, but since I normally can't handle theater popcorn and I rarely drink soda, I obviously didn't spring for it at 9am. I was promised free coffee and donuts, but those weren't available so I was suffering from a caffeine headache by the end of the movie. Ah, my lovely caffeine addiciton - still it's better than smoking. I liked the movie. I'm not hard to please, but I also went in with low expectations since sequels are not usually as good as the original and this was a second sequel. I still like the first movie the best, but I liked this one better than the second. But really, how can you go wrong with Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom dressed as pirates? Plus Keith Richards' cameo as Jack's father added a nice touch of humor.

No comments: