Monday, August 20, 2007

Amazon Jane Massage

My amazon package arrived; I went to see Becoming Jane; and for our anniversary lovely husband got me a massage, which was yesterday. All in all it was a lovely, relaxing, productive weekend. We cleaned most of Saturday, which wasn't enjoyable, but very necessary because I find writing at home is most frustrating when the apartment is messy. My Jeff Buckley cd arrived from Amazon, so the cleaning was more enjoyable with Grace as background music.

I loved Becoming Jane. I know it's a very loose fictional interpretation of Jane Austen's life, but it was a good story. Though I left the theatre a little depressed that this woman who wrote the most wonderful love stories never found her own love story. It was a beautiful film and Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy did a splendid job. Now I want to reread some Austen novels. I read them all last summer and recently the urge to reread Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion started nagging me, but I've been putting it off until I finish some of the books in my to be read pile. We'll see how long I hold out.

Massages are a strange thing. You lie (mostly) unclothed while a stranger touches you and it's supposed to be relaxing. I have to give myself a peptalk every time I get a massage because I have a comfort bubble and I don't like strangers entering that bubble. Plus, as much as I like the idea of spas, they always make me uncomfortable because they feel like a members-only club and I'm not a member. The last time I had a massage was when I quit my job in April 2006 and it wasn't the best experience because the therapist used so much pressure it hurt me--including running her elbows down my back (OW!)--and with my Anglo-American-Protestant politeness, I felt it was better to suffer through the pain than to say anything. I thought maybe she was using pressure points that hurt when pressed, but afterward feel relaxed. Not so much. This time I asked for a gentle massage and highlighted my neck and shoulders as tender zones to avoid the crazy elbow massage. For the most part this massage was a much better experience, but there was one moment where she had the back of my neck in a strong vice grip that left me wondering what the hard pressure massage felt like and once again my politeness kicked in so I suffered through it hoping it was a pressure point and the pain would be over soon. After the massage I felt very relaxed and light as I drove home. Husband and I went for a long walk with Drew and grabbed coffee, but the longer we walked the more my shoulders, back, and neck began to hurt. I don't know if it's true that massages release toxins in your muscles, but it sure felt like it last night. I had flu-type aches by bedtime. This morning I feel a little better thank goodness. Hopefully all that relaxation will seep into my muscles as I work today. Speaking of work, I should scuttle off now...

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Happy anniversary!
and...um...elbows down your back sounds like torture.

Jenny Beattie said...

Oh Angie, that made me giggle. I've never really been one for massages since after I had the kids I got lots of lower back pain and embarked on a long relationship with osteopaths and chiropractors. The idea of being 'worked' on my back is associated with pain and cracking. But here in Thailand massages are everywhere and normal (I'm not talking about those massages, but yes they're everywhere too). Anyway I've now had a few, although it took nearly two years, but my politeness prevents me from saying 'OOOOWWWW, gentler, please' so your comment made me chuckle. We're paying honey!

Helen said...

It sounds like you are having an extreme sort of massage. I love them personally but there are areas on my back that are sensitive to the touch. Try wincing with pain if your politeness stops you from speaking up. I find that works. Oh and after a hard massage I often feel achey too. I remember one when I fell asleep after it. I was so sore for days but it was because I had knotted muscles that needed unknotting. Drink lots of water to flush the toxins out too. I was promised a hot stone massage after I'd finished my first draft which I may now take up - starting to feel a bit creaky! x

Angie said...

Rebecca, thanks! It does sound like torture, doesn't it? I can't understand why they do it.

JJ, glad it made you giggle. I'd be afraid I'd get the wrong kind of massage therapist in Thailand, if you know what I mean. ;) The politeness thing is really strange. I know I'm paying, yet I can't seem to speak up - it seems too pushy! Must work on that.

Helen, no in fact it was actually called the 60 min Relaxation Massage! Those intense ones really scare me now! Maybe it's this therapist, I did go to the same spa both times and got the same girl....I did wince a bit, but my face wasn't visible so she didn't notice. *sigh* Taking note on the water. And the hot stone massage sound divine!