Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sleepy editing and Latte cheer

I had a doctor appointment at 9:15 this morning, so I had to drive on the freeway in rush-hour traffic for the first time in ages. I used to drive 20 miles one way to my old job, and I would get so stressed in the traffic. I always used to wish we had a viable transit system, because I would've taken it and enjoyed some relaxing reading time on the train, but it wasn't an option for me. Anyway, this morning I rather enjoyed my drive, mainly because I thought about how lucky I am to be able to work from home. This reminder put me in a good mood, which was quickly dashed by the appointment (I won't go into it, but you girls understand the dreaded annual appointment), plus I had to get blood taken for my regular thyroid test, and for some reason it really hurt this morning. Afterward to cheer myself up, I browsed the bookstore and grabbed a latte, even though it's nearing 90 degrees. I'm technically cutting calories right now to lose a few pounds (I *hate* the term diet...), so the latte is as good as it gets these days, but it's one of my favorite things, so it's cheering me up.

I hesitate to add--in case I jinx myself--that I finally finished the edit of my chapter. That's right folks, editing chapter one AGAIN. I need an outside reader to give me a fresh pair of eyes on this project, so I'm giving chapters one and two to a writerly friend, but I can't stand handing it over when I see things I can fix/rewrite/add. Yesterday I barely made any headway on the chapter because every time I tried to start reading it, I zoned out. This worried me. It can't be a good sign when I zone out reading my own story! However, I tried to remember that I have read through it zillions of times, so every single word is familiar and labored to me. I almost gave up, but I gave it one more chance last night at 10:30, and miraculously my nighttime energy kicked in and I was able to read through the entire chapter for the last time, and I'm proclaiming it finished (for the reader that is, not final draft finished). I wanted to go to bed early for my appointment, but didn't climb into bed until midnight. And then. My brain refused to turn off and all I could think about were my stories. I did have a small epiphany regarding a major plot point for novel 2, which was really exciting, but I wish the damn epiphanies would wait for morning when I'm sitting here waiting for them. I didn't want to forget the idea, but I didn't want to get up and write it down, so I just went over and over it in my mind until I knew I couldn't forget. I was also hoping it would simulate 'counting sheep', but it took hours to finally fall asleep. I'm sure the heat isn't helping either. Normally we have hot summers averaging between the mid-80s to the low-90s, but lately it's been cooler. The heat seems to have finally caught up since we're due 90 degree weather all week. Better finish that latte before it melts.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

mmm - I think zoning out while reading your own work is definitely because you've probably almost memorised it all by now. At least you weren't cringing and sobbing with despair!

and where exactly are you in that photo on your header, by the way. Looks like a lovely spot.

Angie said...

Rebecca, that's true. I have cringed in despair while reading old stories of mine, so this is an improvement I guess. ;)

I'm in London, my favorite place in the world. *sigh* Wish I was there now. (It's the south bank facing Greenwich, which is why there are no obvious landmarks).