Thursday, May 15, 2008

Elevated

The temperature rose from a high of 70 degrees on Monday to a boiling 100 degrees today. I could barely sleep last night--and I'm a hot sleeper. I finally gave up and got up slightly early this morning because it was already 70 degrees at 7am. I spent the morning at the library doing more research, then edited a short story in the afternoon, which I'm hoping to send off soon.

Normally, I don't let the heat stop me from enjoying my evening tea, but with my system in shock, I caved in and dragged Husband for a walk to pick up cold drinks. The heat felt nice without the sun beating down, like a sultry July evening when the air is thick and soupy, but even now, at 11:45pm, it's 79 degrees.

I suppose I better get used to scorching steering wheels and my legs sticking to seats if this was caused by global warming. On the plus side, I won't have problems getting up earlier, though I may fall short on sleep.

In other news, California's Supreme Court overturned the ban on gay marriage. All in all it was a productive, smoking hot day in California.

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

Fair play for getting so much work done in such a hot and sticky environment!

Anonymous said...

OMG I hope DC doesn't get that hot I wouldn't be able to leave the house!

Angie said...

Thanks Yvonne, I think the change of environment and the sunshiny weather sparked my creativity.

m&t, I hear DC gets pretty muggy in the summer, though I'm not sure if it gets quite that hot. Good luck!

Jenny Beattie said...

Phew, I know all about the heat! I can't get the air con to regulate the temp inside though. One minute I need slippers, the next a swimsuit!

Angie said...

JJ, I really have nothing to complain about in comparison to the heat you deal with!
The a/c drives me batty in summer. I used to leave a sweater at work because it would always get too cold, but then you get in the car to drive home...phew!

Anonymous said...

Is it true that lots of people in the states keep an extra fridge, just to store cold drinks?

I ask this, because my Florida friend told me yesterday and I wasn't sure if he was winding me up or not.

Angie said...

Hullaballoo, haha that made me laugh. I think he might be pulling your leg, although maybe it's a southern thing? I don't think most people have a second fridge, but some do (usually those with large families who do a lot of Costco shopping, etc.).