Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Life in Silicon Valley: Random Thoughts

It has its advantages: cutting edge technology, job growth, good schools, warm weather. But these advantages go hand-in-hand with a big disadvantage: the cutting edge cost of living. Apparently San Jose is the fourth worst city to rent and the number one city for home sellers, but on the bright side, we're high on the 'recession proof' list.
The bay area regularly leads the nation in everything from rental rates to housing costs to the price of gas. Before Memorial Day we were among the first in the nation to pay over $4 a gallon for regular gas. Yesterday I noticed that the 'cheap' gas station down the street had reached $4.25. It rose $0.25 a gallon in two weeks! Soon I won't be able to leave my over-priced condo because the cost will be too prohibitive. Alert the bank, I'll need a loan to fill up this weekend. I suppose I have a lot of 'gas light' days to look forward to.
I wonder whether the cost of commuting will begin to figure into people's job decisions?

2 comments:

Kristen @ frostingandfroth.com said...

I need to start riding my bike everywhere--the price of gas is just ridiculous. Luckily, it's nearly summer and you know what that means...bike rides and snow cones! YESSSSSSSSSS!!! ;-)

You and the husband need to get some bikes to ride with us!

Angie said...

We really do, there's just the issue of storage and grandmotherly knees...