Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Reflective

One of my bfs wrote to tell me about two sad events that occurred this past week in my hometown. Two men hit and killed a bicyclist, then fled the scene and burned the car in order to hide any evidence. They appear to be involved in some illicit drug trafficking as well. In the other story, a local boy of 14 recently broke his neck and was paralyzed while competing in a national snowboarding competition. He's in hospital in Reno, and while most of the town is working to raise money to help pay his medical expenses, two teenagers broke into his house, ransacked and robbed it. Like my bf, I can't help but lose a little faith in mankind while reading so many negative stories this week. It's truly heartrenching to see how people can treat each other. At the same time, I'm trying to be optimistic by looking at the bright side. Bend is, for the most part, a lovely town and it's wonderful to see how the community has come together to help this family in need. All the local news agencies are involved, as well as local restaurants and other groups. I'm also glad to hear my home state is taking progressive steps toward equal rights. I just wish the jerks of the world could be rounded up and leave the rest of us alone.

And now a cute picture of Drew. I haven't put up a picture of him in awhile, and since he always makes me smile (well, *almost* always), I figure he might make you smile too.

1 comment:

Joseph R. Ruthruff said...

I'm dog-sitting Drew right now, and he's sleeping. He's cute in that pose, too. I don't really have anything more insightful to say, other than your stupid Sox once again beat my beloved Yanks. :(